[Peace-discuss] AWARE anti-war demonstration, Saturday, Aug. 1st, 2-4pm at Main & Neil in Champaign

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 23:00:03 EDT 2015

Can anyone help transport signs?
I have to work until right before the demonstration.
I failed to select the posters and put them in my car before it got dark.
Plus, I would kind of like to ride my bike to work tomorrow.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Stuart Levy via Peace-discuss
<peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> wrote:
> Tomorrow is the first Saturday of August, so please join AWARE for our
> anti-war demonstration,
>
>     2-4 PM
>     Saturday, Aug. 1st
>     corner of Main and Neil, downtown Champaign
>
> Our flyer this month, thanks to Carl, looks at the long consistency in
> United States foreign policy:
>
> Obama (and Hillary) - despite constant protestations of ‘hope and change’ -
> are completely in line with US foreign policy for decades. U.S. foreign
> military bases (which expanded to more than a thousand after the fall of the
> Soviet Union; no other country has more than 30) make it clear that US
> foreign policy has been directed to preventing an economic rival arising in
> Eurasia, especially in Russia and China.
>
> US foreign policy for a century has seen Africa, Asia, and Europe not as
> three separate continents, but as a unitary land mass, a world island. Its
> heartland - 4,000 miles from the Persian Gulf to the Siberian Sea - could
> only be controlled from its rimlands in Eastern Europe or the margins in the
> surrounding seas. “Who rules the Heartland commands the World-Island,” went
> the U.S. motto. “Who rules the World-Island commands the world.”
>
> (If you think that the US makes war because we have to - in order to put
> down this or that bad guy on the far side of the world, as we are told daily
> in the media - think again.)
>
> Background reading might be this, on an article by Alfred McCoy that traces
> the origin of "geopolitics" - proposed in the context of the British Empire
> in a visionary speech by Halford Mackinder more than a century ago.   Our
> leaders today are reading from the same playbook.
>
> http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176007/tomgram%3A_alfred_mccoy%2C_washington%27s_great_game_and_why_it%27s_failing_/
>
>      "The Geopolitics of American Global Decline / Washington Versus China
> in the Twenty-First Century"

-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain