[Peace-discuss] FW: Breaking: Trans-Pacific Partnership blocked in Congress!

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 12 22:28:28 EDT 2015

See below:

	Friends,

Here’s a rare bit of good news:

Just minutes ago, the Trans-Pacific Partnership, or the TPP, was dealt a very big blow in Congress. It's not totally clear what happens next -- but the road to fast tracking this massive corporate power grab is now much harder.

The TPP was pushed back today for for one, simple, beautiful reason: people power.

Labor unions, human rights organizations, internet freedom advocates, climate activists, and progressives of all stripes threw their weight behind stopping this deal, and it's working. We're starting to be heard.

Nancy Pelosi, House Democratic Leader, made the connection between this deal and climate change too. She publicly bucked enormous pressure, voting against a key component of the deal over concerns about the deal’s impact on climate change.

The coalition that is working together against the TPP looks a lot like the group of folks who marched together during the People’s Climate March last September. There’s a reason for that: the movement for climate justice is starting to build critical bridges to other movements for justice.

Today, that coalition showed that organized people can still beat lots of organized money. Because of thousands of climate activists and 350 local groups across the country who stood up and linked arms with fellow progressives, the TPP is on the ropes.

The TPP is an example of the wealthiest 1% working together against the rest of us -- and the set back today is a demonstration of the power we have when the rest of us work together to fight back.

The final results of this fight are still unclear. Key aspects of the deal go up for another vote next week and we will continue to call on you for help. As always, it will be a fight -- but I think we have a shot.

Forward together,

Jason Kowalski,
350.0rg

		350.org is building a global climate movement. Become a sustaining donor to keep this movement strong and growing.

You can update your contact information, location, or language here, or if you're 100% sure you never want to hear from 350.org again you can click here to unsubscribe.