[Peace-discuss] "...as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 24 07:55:34 EDT 2015

We should not be too swift to dismiss the forgiveness offered by relatives of those assassinated in Charleston. They were speaking from the almost unimaginable height of their tradition.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33206084 <http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33206084>

'Relatives of some of the nine churchgoers shot dead in South Carolina have addressed the suspected gunman in court and said they forgive him.
Dylann Roof, 21, appeared in court in Charleston to face nine murder charges.
He showed no emotion as relatives of the victims addressed him directly. 'I forgive you' said one victim's daughter, fighting back tears...
At a Charleston sports arena, thousands gathered on Friday evening to remember the victims with prayers and songs.
Mr Roof is accused of opening fire on a Bible study group, killing nine people...
Also on Friday, the Roof family released a statement through their lawyer.
"Words cannot express our shock, grief and disbelief as to what happened that night. We are devastated and saddened by what occurred," the family wrote. "We have all been touched by the moving words from the victims' families offering God's forgiveness and love in the face of such horrible suffering."
In court in Charleston on Friday afternoon, Mr Roof spoke to confirm his name, age and address and said he was unemployed.
Then relatives were invited by the judge to come forward and speak.
A woman who identified herself as the daughter of Ethel Lance said: 'You took something very precious from me. I will never talk to her ever again.
'I will never be able to hold her again, but I forgive you. And [may God] have mercy on your soul.'
Anthony Thompson, a relative of Myra Thompson, told Mr Roof to repent and to turn to Jesus Christ.
'I forgive you and my family forgives you,' he said…"