[Peace-discuss] WaPo: When the next ‘Freedom Flotilla’ to Gaza sets sail, an Israeli lawmaker will be on board

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Jun 25 10:24:21 EDT 2015

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/06/24/when-the-next-freedom-flotilla-to-gaza-sets-sail-an-israeli-lawmaker-will-be-on-board/

When the next ‘Freedom Flotilla’ to Gaza sets sail, an Israeli lawmaker
will be on board
By Ruth Eglash June 24 at 11:47 AM

JERUSALEM — Some time in the next few days, a flotilla
<https://freedomflotilla.org/> of at least three ships will set out across
the Mediterranean <https://ff3.freedomflotilla.org/> bound for the Gaza
Strip. The passengers' stated aim is to confront Israel’s maritime blockade
of the Palestinian enclave and deliver symbolic humanitarian aid to the
people living there.

Although this is not the first time activists have attempted to break what
they see as an illegal siege of Gaza by Israel and Egypt, it is stirring
even more controversy than in the past because of the presence of an
Israeli lawmaker, Arab Knesset member Basel Ghattas.

The "Freedom Flotilla" — the third since 2010 — is seen in Israel as a
particular provocation, in part because it challenges what Israelis believe
is a right to defend their coastline.

It also touches a nerve because the initial attempt
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/31/AR2010053101209.html>
force a passage past Israel’s navy patrols, in 2010, ended in a bloody
clash between activists and Israeli soldiers. Nine activists were killed
and dozens wounded after Israeli naval commandos boarded the Turkish ship
Mavi Marmara, the lead vessel in that first flotilla. Israel’s actions drew
denunciations from around the world and triggered a breakdown in the
country's relations with Turkey.

A member of the Joint List, a party representing Israel’s Arab citizens and
the third-largest in Israel’s parliament, Ghattas has drawn criticism from
across the political spectrum for his decision to join the flotilla.
Critics say that his motives are political, not humanitarian
<http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.662315>, and that he is
abusing his position of power to undermine the state.

During a heated debate in the Knesset on Tuesday, another member of
Ghattas’s party, firebrand lawmaker Hanin Zoabi, was ejected
<http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4671875,00.html>. Zoabi wassuspended
from the Knesset
<http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Haneen-Zoabi-suspended-from-Knesset-over-Gaza-flotilla>
in
2011 for her participation in the 2010 flotilla.

Ghattas is currently in Athens waiting to board one of the flotilla’s
ships. The Washington Post reached him by telephone to ask him about his
planned voyage. The interview has been edited for brevity and clarity.

*Q:*
*Why is your participation in this flotilla so crucial?*
A: The siege against Gaza should worry everyone, everywhere, including
Israelis. I don't know why more Israeli Knesset members, not only the Arab
ones, are not coming with me on this flotilla.

Earlier this week, I made a political request
<https://freedomflotilla.org/news/17-open-letter-from-member-of-knesset-dr-basel-ghattas-to-netanyahu>
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to dismantle the blockade of Gaza because
it is inhumane and illegal. It is a collective punishment of Palestinians,
who live in jail-like conditions.

*Q: There has been criticism that this is a political action, not a
humanitarian one. Can you explain what the goals of this flotilla are?*

A: This is a nonviolent political action aimed at bringing attention to the
blockade. We must remember that it is these conditions that will lead us to
another circle of war within a month, a year or two years from now. So why
not do whatever we can, make every effort possible, to change the reality,
save lives and avoid another war? This is my intention, and I think I am
doing my duty as an elected representative in Israel.

*Q: Israel says that the blockade is for security purposes and that it is
now allowing more humanitarian aid and essential goods
<http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4627827,00.html> to enter Gaza
than ever before, so why is a flotilla necessary?*

A: The blockade has lasted for eight years, and throughout that time it did
not change the reality. Israel cannot just control the passage of goods to
Gaza. These people have basic rights to have a seaport and have access to
the world.

The security issues that Israel is claiming as obstacles can be solved.
Even when Gaza was closed on all sides, this did not stop Hamas from
getting all the rockets that it had in last war.

*Q: Are you concerned about the consequences of joining this action? There
is talk of reviewing your position
<http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Knesset-Ethics-Committee-to-review-MK-Ghattas-Gaza-flotilla-participation-406908>
in
the Knesset.*

A: I am concerned about that. It is easy for the Israeli media and the
public to label someone and to brainwash everyone against him. On the other
hand, I am doing my job and listening to my conscience. I am a proud
Palestinian and a Knesset member. I don't have anything to hide or be
afraid of. I will deal with the consequences when I get back.
Ruth Eglash is a reporter for The Washington Post based in Jerusalem. She
was formerly a reporter and senior editor at the Jerusalem Post and
freelanced for international media.

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy