[Peace-discuss] Love is Love! (and capital is capital)

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Fri Jun 26 15:43:05 EDT 2015

"This was a great week for Liberalism folks: we preserved a massive subsidy of the parasitic health insurance industry, expanded the reach of the thoroughly rotten institution of marriage, and finalized the complete corporate take-over of the Pacific Rim." [Will Menaker]

As a long-married Catholic (with no wish to change that status) I'd need some time to explain what 'the thoroughly rotten institution of marriage' might mean in the contemporary US, but I think it's probably an apt description of one of the effects of capitalist alienation.

Years ago, as a Green party candidate, I advocated getting the state out of the marriage business entirely. In a rational society with a GAI and social supports (free education, healthcare, housing, etc.) people should be able to form the associations that seem appropriate to them.

—CGE