[Peace-discuss] FW: Act Now: Congress is one step closer to fast-tracking a secretive trade deal!

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Fri May 22 22:33:41 EDT 2015

Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 20:22:43 -0500
From: sierra at sierraclub.org
Subject: Act Now: Congress is one step closer to fast-tracking a secretive trade deal!

Sierra Club

Dear Karen,

Tell Rep. Rodney Davis to vote no on fast-tracking toxic trade deals like the TPP!

Despite strong opposition from environmental champions, fast track for the secretive and toxic Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) just cleared the Senate.

Congress is now one step closer to rubber-stamping this trade deal that would lead to more fracking, extend the power of corporate polluters, and undermine our environmental standards. The fight now moves to the House, where a handful of votes will make the difference.

Contact your representative now. Ask Rep. Rodney Davis to oppose fast track for secretive trade deals!

Even if you contacted your Representative earlier this year, they need to hear from you again now that the fate of this bill is in their hands. Grassroots pressure can help us stop this toxic bill in its tracks.

It's hard to underestimate the impact of the TPP. This trade pact between 12 countries would govern 40 percent of the world's economic output. The deal would require the US Dept. of Energy to automatically approve all exports of liquefied gas to countries in the pact, leading to more fracking and more climate-disrupting emissions.

We cannot let Congress fast track a trade deal that the public has never even seen. While the TPP has been shaped by hundreds of corporate advisors, the public has been left in the dark. To even see the draft text, members of Congress are ushered to a secure room in the basement of the Capitol, must surrender their electronic devices, and cannot take notes from the room.1

Contact Rep. Davis now to oppose fast track for secret trade deals like the TPP!

Thanks for speaking out on this and other issues that affect our environment.

Sincerely,

Ilana Solomon

Sierra Club

P.S. After you take action, be sure to forward this alert to your friends and colleagues!

1. A Trade Deal Read In Secret By Only A Few (Or Maybe None), NPR, May 14, 2015.

Sierra Club |  85 2nd St San Francisco, CA 94105 | membership.services at sierraclub.org

Unsubscribe from Sierra Club alerts | Update My Profile | Manage My Email Preferences

View as a Webpage | Tell a Friend About This Email
This email was sent to karenaram at hotmail.com |  Not You? Sign up here.