[Peace-discuss] Avaaz: 72 hours for FIFA to sanction Israel

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed May 27 08:31:10 EDT 2015

If this happens, it would be world-historical.

<https://secure.avaaz.org/en/fifa_ban_israel_5_mena_locked/?bcDPbab&v=59283>

*In 72 hours t*he FIFA Congress could vote to suspend Israel’s membership*
for its racism*. We only need* a few more votes. *Sign now and* send this
to everyone!*

  Sign the Petition
<https://secure.avaaz.org/en/fifa_ban_israel_5_mena_locked/?bcDPbab&v=59283>
  Dear friends

*In 72 hours the FIFA Congress could vote to suspend Israel’s membership
for its racism* towards Palestinian athletes. But 75% of the Congress
members need to vote yes for this decision to pass. Let’s urgently call on
them to suspend Israel’s membership until it stops the discrimination.

FIFA’s own rules forbid racism and make it illegal to forcefully use
another nation’s soil for matches, yet Israel’s violence and racism towards
Palestinian football goes without punishment. Israel is lobbying hard to
convince FIFA to refuse the Palestinian request to suspend Israel. *But we
only need a few more votes* and insiders say what’s missing is a massive
push for them to make a strong stand for equality.

*Sign the urgent petition to call on FIFA Congress* to suspend Israel until
it respects fair play and ends discrimination and tell everyone, *fast --
we’ve literally only got hours.* As soon as our petition roars with
momentum, we’ll deliver it to the FIFA Congress.

[...]

*The arguments for a suspension are clear *-- five Israeli football clubs
are based in settlements, built illegally on Palestinian lands, violating
FIFA’s rules. Footballers have been shot, and Israel’s racist occupation
policies strip Palestinians from their right to freedom of movement, making
internal matches in Palestine difficult, and traveling outside the country
exhausting, and sometimes impossible.

*The FIFA Congress suspended South Africa and Yugoslavia for acts of
discrimination.* There is no reason to treat Israel differently when it
commits the same violations. FIFA’s decisions helped push countries like
South Africa and Yugoslavia to eventually change their policies - a
suspension now could nudge Israel towards ending its discrimination as
well.

*We have **just 72 hours to build a mega petition - sign now and send this
to everyone:*

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/fifa_ban_israel_5_mena_locked/?bcDPbab&v=59283

 History has shown us that injustice and repression come to an end the
moment they are courageously confronted, and when the perpetrators are
shown that racism has no place in our world. A FIFA suspension on Israel
will send a strong message of equality that will make oppression and
occupation more costly, and make peace a better option.

With hope,

Fadi, Rewan, Falastine, Mohammad and the rest of the Avaaz Team

More information:
Israel cries foul over FIFA suspension talk
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/25/world/fifa-israel-palestinians/

Palestinian soccer players tell FIFA Israel violates their ‘basic rights’
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/5/20/palestinians-campaign-for-israels-suspension-from-fi...
<http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/5/20/palestinians-campaign-for-israels-suspension-from-fifa.html>

Fifa: Israel football faces possible suspension vote
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32812288

*Avaaz.org is a 41-million-person global campaign network* that works to
ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18
countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages.