[Peace-discuss] Avaaz: 72 hours for FIFA to sanction Israel

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed May 27 12:07:11 EDT 2015

I don't know. But the corruption charges against FIFA officials seem pretty
strong, and they are not being only pursued in the US; it seems widely
accepted in Europe that they are legit.

World soccer rocked as top officials held in U.S., Swiss graft cases
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/27/us-soccer-fifa-arrests-idUSKBN0OC0B020150527

Timing is another question. But I think that's a reflection of that fact
that both things are happening at the same time as a result of the FIFA
meetings. Obviously, the Avaaz campaign and the wider campaign of which its
part are tied to the FIFA meetings. It was also a convenient time for the
prosecutors to move because many of their targets were gathered in
Switzerland.

Of course, that doesn't prove that the coincidence is innocuous, but mere
coincidence seems quite plausible based on what has been reported.

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy
www.justforeignpolicy.org