[Peace-discuss] An academic boycott - model for others

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Thu Nov 5 08:01:20 EST 2015

*A Commitment by South African Scholars to the Rights of Palestinians*

We South African scholars, noting the initiative by more than 600 of our academic colleagues in the United Kingdom in solidarity with Palestinians under occupation similarly endorse the commitment on the rights of Palestinians as published in the Guardian newspaper on the 27^th October 2015.

Details of the commitment can be found at http://www.commitment4p.com

As scholars associated with South African universities, we are also deeply disturbed by Israel’s illegal occupation of Palestinian land, the intolerable human rights violations that it inflicts on all sections of the Palestinian people, and its apparent determination to resist any feasible settlement.

Responding to the appeal from Palestinian civil society, we therefore also declare that we will not:

·accept invitations to visit Israeli academic institutions;

·act as referees in any of their processes;

·participate in conferences funded, organised or sponsored by them, or otherwise cooperate with them.

We will, however, continue to work with our Israeli colleagues in their individual capacities and consistent with a shared commitment of our Israeli colleagues to the position we have outlined in this statement.

We will maintain this position until the State of Israel complies with international law, and respects universal principles of human rights.

All signatures are in personal capacities.

*Signatories to date (as at 5 November 2015):*

Prof Steven Friedman (University of Johannesburg)

Prof Farid Esack (University of Johannesburg)

Prof Peter Vale (University of Johannesburg)

Prof Peter Alexander (University of Johannesburg)

Dr Shahed Nalla (University of Johannesburg)

Prof Salim Vally (University of Johannesburg)

Prof Linda Chisholm – (University of Johannesburg)

Prof Leila Kajee - (University of Johannesburg)

Dr Sikhumbuzo Mngadi – (University of Johannesburg)

Dr Dirk Postma - (University of Johannesburg)

Dr Graham Dampier – (University of Johannesburg)

Dr Mondli Hlatshwayo – (University of Johannesburg)

Prof Robert Van Niekerk (Rhodes University)

Prof Larry Strelitz (Rhodes University)

Shepi Mati (Rhodes University)

Paul Wessels (Rhodes University)

Dr Vashna Jagarnath (Rhodes University)

Professor Heila Lotz-Sisitka (Rhodes University)

Prof Kirk Helliker (Rhodes University)

Dr John Reynolds (Rhodes University)

Robert Berold (Rhodes University)

Nick Hamer (Rhodes University)

Prof Alex Sutherland (Rhodes University)

Prof Greg Ruiters (University of the Western Cape)

Rashid Ahmed (University of the Western Cape)

Umesh Bawa (University of the Western Cape)

Lameze Abrahams (University of the Western Cape)

Prof David Sanders (Emeritus, University of the Western Cape)

Prof Yusuf Sayed (Cape Peninsula University of Technology)

Prof Azeem Badroodien (Cape Peninsula University of Technology)

Kelly Gillespie (University of Witwatersrand)

Prof Garth Stevens (University of the Witwatersrand)

Siphelo Ngcwangu (University of the Witwatersrand)

Prof Volker Wedekind (University of the Witwatersrand)

Prof Noor Nieftagodien (University of the Witwatersrand)

Prof Mohamed Seedat (University of South Africa)

Samed Bulbulia (University of South Africa)

Ghouwa Ismail (University of South Africa)

Naiema Taliep (University of South Africa)

Shahnaaz Suffla (South African Medical Research Council)

Prof Janet Cherry (Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University)

Ivor Baatjes (Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University)

Nadeema Musthan (Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University)

Dr Salma Ismail (University of Cape Town)

Enver Motala (University of Fort Hare)

Dr Clint Le Bruyns (University of KwaZulu-Natal)

Prof Patrick Bond (University of KwaZulu-Natal)