[Peace-discuss] Drone Killings

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 25 10:33:09 EDT 2015

My rant for the day:

 Professor Jeremy Waldren will be speaking Monday at the Law School Auditorium against the use of drones. He remarks on significant reasons why we should not. Those who support the use of drones make arguments that are simplistic and without substance.
One of the statements they make is that our government is looking for a better means of choosing  their targets, given the illegality of a lack of due process if nothing else. Nothing makes me more angry than the argument supporting drones is that "they are looking at a better or more legitimate means of targeting killers"
It's not a stretch to suggest after the holocaust the Nazi's decide to look for a better method of extermination than gas chambers, or after any genocide, the perpetrators wringing their hands and suggesting a better strategy to follow next time they want to purge.

How about the Saudi's deciding not to behead people anymore, its gross, instead they'll just crucify or shoot them, for the crime of peaceful protest.

The use of drones is egregious, because its a technology that becomes the only game in town, a hammer looking for a nail, and it metastasizes.
Underneath the "use of drones argument", is the deeper argument against hegemony and killing/bombing in general for the selfish purpose of control of other nations resources.