[Peace-discuss] Nov 3rd: want to join CUCPJ in speaking against tasers for Champaign police?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 28 04:21:25 EDT 2015

Tasers could be approved for the Champaign police if they were to be carried in place of the current sidearms.

Firearms would be held by the police on the British model: not every officer would carry one, but they would be available if needed.

That’s been the British practice for some time; modern communications would seem to make it even more practical.

Cases like that of Tamar Rice make it clear that guns should not be the police’ first resort: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/26/tamir-rice-video-shows-boy-shot-police-cleveland <http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/26/tamir-rice-video-shows-boy-shot-police-cleveland>

  —CGE