[Peace-discuss] My comment on Jim Dey's article

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 16 08:38:38 EDT 2015

Rereading Buckley (1925-2008) and Vidal (1925-2012) today, one finds plenty to criticize, but what’s strangest is the curiously old-fashioned air to their debate.  Not because what they debated wasn’t important, but because most of it predates the great unrecognized sea-change in US politics, the counter-attack of neoliberalism, beginning in the 1970s and resulting in the craven collapse of US liberalism into Identity Politics. (There are few good accounts: see perhaps Chris Hedges, "The Death of the Liberal Class,” 2010.)

That said, Vidal is unquestionably more valuable now than Buckley. Contrast e.g. “God and Man at Yale” (1951) - not inaccurate about the Ivy League two generations ago - with “Homage to Daniel Shays” (1972).

But, in an illustration of the maxim that the poets often get there first, see Vidal’s remarkably accurate and even prescient series of novels on US history. An undergraduate (or anyone) who wanted to know about US history - beyond the cant - could do far worse than read them (along with Zinn and Chomsky):

"The Narratives of Empire series is a heptalogy of historical novels, by Gore Vidal, published between 1967 and 2000, which chronicle the dawn-to-decadence history of the American Empire; the narratives interweave the personal stories of two families with the personages and events of U.S. history. Despite the publisher's preference for the politically neutral series-title 'American Chronicles,' the author Vidal preferred the series-title 'Narratives of Empire.' The seven narratives of empire can be read in either historical or publication order without losing narrative intelligibility.” Here’s the list: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narratives_of_Empire <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narratives_of_Empire>>.

   —CGE