[Peace-discuss] Proposal

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:55:58 EDT 2016

As one of the seven active members of AWARE, and the most outspoken on this topic, amongst the group. Let me clarify:

Objections to S.Francis being on the program were due to his labeling and smearing "the Jewish people" for the attacks on 9/11. Just as he has done on this Peace Discuss List, in the past. None of us were concerned with the issue of 9/11. That being said, we do focus, as was intended by AWARE's creators on "Anti-war, anti-racism", the issue of racism taking a back seat to anti-war only because there are other groups focused on the race issue, while none in the area other than AWARE are focusing on war. There are other reasons as well, and to be clear, we were a group divided.

I'm not referring to the wars of the past, but those we are facing in the present and future. They are of course all connected, history of behavior does matter.

When some of us say "9/11 doesn't matter", we mean that our opinion of who is responsible for the killing of over 3,000 people here in the US, doesn't change anything, not that those lives don't matter. What we do think matters is the thousands upon thousands that the US has been killing, with little coverage by the media. That matters because we hope that if the American people know and understand what we are doing and why, we might be able to prevent it's continuance.

Focusing on "ourselves as victims" of 9/11 offers no solutions. Let the experts do their research, let all documents be released and discuss it amongst your peers as you like, but don't expect the American people to rise up against oppression when the "truth of 9/11" is revealed. We have enough abuse occurring on a daily basis, that needs to be challenged and is sometimes covered by the corporate owned  media. I won't go into the topic of "identity politics" or even address the " class system" and "capitalism" in this statement.

What we, the American people, need to focus on is  our own behavior, that's the only thing we can control. The crimes against humanity for which we are responsible if we turn away and ignore, makes us as guilty as the perpetrators, for allowing  what is done in our name. In preventing the deaths of thousands upon thousands,  keep in mind some of those lives could be our own.