[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Urbana Sanctuary City Ordinance passed.

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:31:05 UTC 2016

Good points Karen, thank you.

The Sanctuary City revision, as it has been a sanctuary city since 1986, is only the first step in a process for some of us, newly involved. The local Immigration Forum people have been working these issues for quite sometime. No one is telling the undocumented that they are completely safe and all is well, but we are taking a stand in support of them, and though it maybe “merely symbolic” as suggested, it is a show of solidarity.

Those originally involved, as I understand it, in the 1986 sanctuary resolution was as a revolt against US war and intervention policies in Latin America, by anti-war activists at the time. To diminish their efforts as merely “identity politics” is disingenuous at best.

Those of us who are anti-war could be accused of “Identity Politics” when we only focus on “war or foreign policy”, when what we should be doing is plotting the overthrow of the capitalist system.