[Peace-discuss] Baton Rouge protests

David Johnson davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 12:20:02 UTC 2016

Peace all.

We had about 35 protesters arrested last night and about 35 on Friday night
on various charges in Baton Rouge: inciting a riot, parading without a
permit, blocking a highway, failure to disperse, assault on an officer, and
several charges related to unconstitutional searches.  We anticipate more
today. Within 12 hours, we've raised more than $50,000 in a bail fund we set
up at  <https://www.crowdrise.com/baton-rouge-bail-fund>
https://www.crowdrise.com/baton-rouge-bail-fund . We have 20 local criminal
defense attorneys volunteering. We trained more than 150 Legal Observers
(nearly all African American) at Southern University yesterday. Here's a
<http://www.wafb.com/story/32408439/citizens-pack-southern-university-for-le
sson-in-protest-rights> three-minute piece the local news did on it until we
asked them to leave. Our Legal Hotline for Baton Rouge protests  is
225-341-2287. We are in touch with the Black Movement Law Project, NAACP
LDF, Vanita Gupta, and others and are, as always, working closely with the
community organizers on the crowd. We are setting up a temporary law office
in a hotel room in Baton Rouge. We are asking all videos, photos, and
narratives of police misconduct to be sent to
<mailto:BatonRougeLegalNLG at gmail.com> BatonRougeLegalNLG at gmail.com .

Thanks for all your support from afar.

In the struggle,

Sister Alison McCrary
President, Louisiana Chapter of National Lawyers Guild