[Peace-discuss] [Peace] July 4th - how about Celebrating America's History of Protest?

Szoke, Ron r-szoke at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 26 00:58:06 UTC 2016

Sounds good to me.  ~~ Ron

[cid:AB2CEC1F-6B70-4FE8-BDCE-B16192188081]

On Jun 25, 2016, at 7:47 PM, Stuart Levy via Peace <peace at lists.chambana.net<mailto:peace at lists.chambana.net>> wrote:

Thinking about July 4th Parade time again.   We'll be sending in AWARE's application today or tomorrow.

Karen Medina had an idea which I think is just brilliant, taking off on the generic parade theme of "Celebrating America":

    How about Celebrating America's History of Protest?

We can go for anti-war anti-imperial protests (need a Eugene V Debs poster!), anti-slavery protests (some of our old signs might fit, like Elijah Lovejoy of Alton, IL), for protests throughout labor history (collective bargaining, a 40-hour week, minimum wage...)!, for the Civil Rights movement protests, for the great veterans' protest after WWI...  - there are lots of directions and we can choose whatever we most like.

Anyone mind adopting this (broad) theme?   Barring objections I'd like to say this is what we'll do.