[Peace-discuss] "Walking Dead"

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 5 13:31:16 UTC 2016

"Walking Dead" fans: Last night I watched Ep.1 of Season 7, and asked myself why? Why do I torture myself watching a program that regularly knocks off favorite characters, now deteriorating to nothing but blood, gore and horror. It did at one time, have worthwhile scenario's of people coming together in groups and dealing with issues that challenged their humanity, but now it's gone beyond that which is bearable. I was angry given I can see the horror of victims loved ones on the news, I don't need to see it falsely presented. On the other hand it occurred to me that perhaps the writers were attempting to recreate that which the US has been responsible for committing for years now. That of slaughtering families with drones and bombs. We have a major candidate running for the highest office in the land who is responsible for the deaths of thousands, with images of her laughing and joking over the butchering of a nations leader in a land that we've destroyed. Ep. 2 of season 7 then takes us to a community where one character refers to it as, "a playland, due to the inhabitants going about their daily lives in ignorance of reality outside their doors. So how does real life really differ from that portrayed in Hollywood? Are we all being numbed by the violence, violence being played out on our own streets as our militarization is brought home, do we just continue to allow our government and their allies Saudi Arabia and Israel to behave as the insane killers in our favorite tv series, who don't just slaughter a couple favorite characters to our horror, but thousands of people across the world?