[Peace-discuss] what I like about the anarchists

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Nov 21 16:52:19 UTC 2016

The leading anarchist political thinker it the US today wrote long ago,

'A French writer, sympathetic to anarchism, wrote in the 1890s that “anarchism has a broad back, like paper it endures anything” — including, he noted those whose acts are such that “a mortal enemy of anarchism could not have done better.” There have been many styles of thought and action that have been referred to as “anarchist.” It would be hopeless to try to encompass all of these conflicting tendencies in some general theory or ideology. And even if we proceed to extract from the history of libertarian [IN THE EUROPEAN - NOT IN THE CONTEMPORARY U.S. - SENSE] thought a living, evolving tradition ... it remains difficult to formulate its doctrines as a specific and determinate theory of society and social change…” <https://chomsky.info/1970____/ <https://chomsky.info/1970____/>>.

The task for anarchists - and everyone serious about politics in the U.S. today - is to find how to oppose the neoconservative (more war) and neoliberal (more inequality) policies of the political establishment - the 20% of the population who support the Democrat and Republican parties.

The election of a president who - however unclear himself - is not an neoliberal nor a neoconservative provides an opening to reverse those military and economic policies.

—CGE