[Peace-discuss] Join fifty urging Champaign County Dems to back Keith Ellison for DNC

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Nov 21 21:35:21 UTC 2016

Well, I don't really think that's ironic. I think that's a key fact about
the juncture that we're in.

The line now of the AFL and the organizations that run with the AFL is that
Trump didn't kill the TPP, because it was already dead before the election.
It was dead before the election because Obama didn't have the votes to pass
it in the lame duck. That's their story, and they're sticking to it.

A lot of labor and fair trade activists across the United States are
looking at this story and scratching their heads. Because that's not what
the AFL and the organizations that run with the AFL were telling people
before the election. They were telling people before the election that
we're going to have a huge fight about this in the lame duck.

My analysis of this is: the AFL and the organizations that run with the AFL
are lying. They're not just lying to us; they're lying to their own
members. They're lying to cover up the fact that we gave the pro-Hillary
labor leaders a perfect opportunity in the Democratic Platform Committee to
force Obama to back down on the TPP and they blew it, basically because
they were cowards in not standing up to Obama. And, I think they were
cowards in not standing up to Obama because they got habituated to being
cowards in such a situation, and they got habituated to the fact that
they're never held accountable by their own members or anyone else for
being cowards in such a situation.

Now, if you ask me, what would be real accountability in this situation, it
would be holding the pro-Hillary labor leaders to account for being cowards
in not standing up to Obama on the TPP. But, you know, if you ask people,
can we hold the pro-Hillary labor leaders to account for this, nobody will
say yes. Because there's a cultural expectation that nobody can hold the
pro-Hillary labor leaders to account for anything. I'm sorry that that is
the case; I wish it were not the case; but I can't hold the pro-Hillary
labor leaders to account by myself.

So, my current view is that trying to flip the leadership of the DNC to the
anti-TPP forces and trying to force the pro-Hillary labor leaders to go
along with that is the best-plausible accountability mechanism at present.
Because in that goal, unlike the other goal, I am not standing alone. In
that goal, I have friends: Sanders, Warren, CWA, National Nurses United,
MoveOn, etc.

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy