[Peace-discuss] NIAC: Tell President Obama: Don't give Trump the keys to a "Muslim registry"

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Nov 22 15:46:33 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jamal Abdi <Jamal at niacaction.org>
Date: Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 9:21 AM
Subject: Tell President Obama: Don't give Trump the keys to a "Muslim
registry"
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Sign the petition and urge President Obama to eliminate NSEERS.
[image: NIAC Action]
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=c5b3ff1a13&e=d3a6425abd>
Dear Robert,

Last week, one of Donald Trump's top campaign supporters shockingly
defended the idea of establishing a so-called "Muslim registry" by
comparing it to the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.

Unfortunately, Trump appears to be moving forward with plans for a registry
targeting *non-U.S. citizens from Muslim-majority countries - including
Iran*. Yesterday, Trump met with Kris Kobach - the architect of a post-9/11
program to track visitors from Muslim-majority countries - who was
photographed with a memo calling for *reinstating and expanding the
post-9/11 program*. That program included Iranians as the "first wave" of
visitors it targeted, in addition to visitors from Iraq, Libya and Sudan.

While that post-9/11 program was eventually  suspended because it was
ineffective and viewed by many as discriminatory, its framework is still
technically on the books. That means President Trump will inherit that
framework and will be able to restart and expand a "Muslim registry" the
minute he takes office.

*That is why NIAC and nearly 200 organizations **sent* *a public letter*
*today*
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=a12137720f&e=d3a6425abd>
*calling
on President Obama to eliminate the program, known as the National Security
Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS). *

Now, we need your help to urge President Obama to eliminate NSEERS
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=0ed15fc89d&e=d3a6425abd>.

The NSEERS program was activated in the wake of 9/11 and did not lead to a
single terrorist prosecution. But it did subject students, workers, and
other visa holders from Iran and other "Muslim-majority" countries to
fingerprinting, interrogation, regular check-ins and mass deportation. More
than 13,000 individuals were deported while complying with the NSEERS
program.

We can’t stay silent while the Trump transition actively considers steps to
target Iranians and other minority groups on the basis of their national
origin or faith. The Iranian community in the United States, like other
immigrant communities, has excelled in every professional field and made
enormous contributions to American society. Yet, if Trump restarts the
NSEERS program, many Iranians in our country will be treated as a security
threat on the basis of where they were born, which is offensive and
un-American and could just be the beginning.

That's why we are calling on President Obama to eliminate the NSEERS
framework before he leaves the White House. It would be irresponsible to
hand off the framework for the Trump Administration to immediately start
targeting people in this country based on their national origin.

*Will you take a moment to* *send your own message*
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=a8ba88824e&e=d3a6425abd>
President Obama urging him to rescind NSEERS before he leaves the White
House?*

Take Action
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=40b03efe46&e=d3a6425abd>
Best,

*Jamal Abdi*
*Executive Director*

*P.S. We still have almost half way to go to hit our end-of-year
fundraising goal of $400,000. If we are going to win the battles like this
one, we need to be fully funded. Please do your part and make a
contribution today
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=36c74dc2cc&e=d3a6425abd>.*

<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=e23bc3ff00&e=d3a6425abd>
Share
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=4527416a88&e=d3a6425abd>
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=f47f21acee&e=d3a6425abd>
Tweet
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=fc7c07b5eb&e=d3a6425abd>
<http://us8.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=1e57788fcc&e=d3a6425abd>
<http://us8.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=1e57788fcc&e=d3a6425abd>

NIAC 1411 K St NW, Ste 250 Washington, DC 20005 USA

*Help advance peace and the Iranian-American community. **Contribute today.*
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=50c0c89175&e=d3a6425abd>