[Peace-discuss] [Peace] [OccupyCU] upcoming events: "Birth of a Nation" w/panel tonight...

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:35:44 UTC 2016

[I started by omitting the Peace list, but hope the below brings enough
new information that I'll copy Peace too for now.   But please, try to
keep arguments off the Peace list - it's intended for announcements.]

tl;dr summary --
    * Artists may make great art.  They may also do things that are
repellent, or criminal.   The one does not excuse the other.
    * Despite the limitations of the "Birth of a Nation" as a film, and
the cloud over its director/lead actor, it's an important film.   I*hope
especially that many white people will see it, and come out wanting to
know more.*
    * You can read Nat Turner's Confessions, made in prison after he
turned himself in.   Lou Turner, on the panel on Sunday, recommends
them.  Text is on line here (and likely many places):
http://www.melanet.com/nat/nat.html
    * Many many thanks to the panelists on Sunday!  Robert King, Gus
Wood, Malaika Mckee-Culpepper,Charisse Burden-Stelly, Lou Turner,
Sundiata Cha-Jua.
    * Glad Paul Mueth worked to make an audio recording - I hope it
turns out to be usable.

I have to agree that "manufactured outrage" is an unfair dismissal of a
real issue.    St. Clair deserves to be criticized for putting it that
way.   Thank you, Rachel.

At Sunday night's panel, there was a good deal of discussion over the
accusation against Nate Parker, and over artists (male) with a history
of sexual bad conduct - Woody Allen, Vladimir Nabokov, it's too easy to
name others.

Lesson I'd want to take: artists may make great art.  They may also do
things that are repellent, or criminal.   The one does not excuse the other.

[In another field: the astronomer Geoffrey Marcy has done groundbreaking
work in discovering planets around other stars over the last several
decades.   He is also, it was revealed, a serial sexual harasser of his
female graduate students.   His scientific work remains valuable, but
that doesn't mean he should be allowed to have anything to do with
students.   UCBerkeley didn't respond well until they were pushed
hard.   In another case, Christian Ott, Cal Tech did much better.]

One comment from Sunday: Nate Parker has been involved in several
feature films, but the focus on the accusation of rape against him is
brought up strongly now - when he has made a film about a black
rebellion.    A few years ago he was prominent in a popular - but
non-threatening - film, Red Tails, about Black pilots in the US air
force.   Were people suggesting boycotting that film, or other Hollywood
movies he's been in, over Parker's past?   Here's the double standard
David Green mentions - a legitimate claim which seems to be selectively
used to distract from the substance of the film.

There were plenty of complaints in Sunday's panel about the substance of
the film as presenting historical events - opportunities missed (from
what people said that evening, there is still plenty of room for
/better/ historical films about Turner's slave rebellion!).   For
example: there were frequent small rebellions happening everywhere in
the years around this time, though most went no further than a single
family.   All the great rebellions - including Toussaint L'Ouverture's
in Haiti - were led by people who were mobile.   (L'Ouverture was a
livery driver, and the French colonizers had lots of parties to display
their wealth!)   Mobile people could gather information, and organize
people, and quietly plan and build an organization, over years of
work.   Turner's preaching travels must have been opportunities for
organizing as well.   How did movements get built?   How did people come
to know each other well enough that they'd trust one another with their
lives?   We don't see anything like that here.

It's wrong to think that those organizations just sprouted from one
brilliant messianic leader and a bunch of followers, which is pretty
much how it looks in this film.    The real Black community was
important in making Turner's planned rebellion actually happen - a date
of July 4th had been set, but Turner got cold feet.   The community
pushed him to go forward, and the actual uprising came in late August.
How were those tensions expressed?

The grievances against the slaveowners look personal in the film -
brutality, rape - but they had an economic foundation as well.   A
depression had started in agricultural prices in 1819 - the bursting of
a banking bubble!   (Grievances against those same bankers were
important in the 1830s rise of Andrew Jackson, populist and scourge of
the Native Americans.)   Slaveowners responded to the loss of income.
Some sold their slaves south to Georgia.   Some hired brutal overseers
to squeeze more labor out of their slaves, as the film does show.

Some curious facts are preserved in the film: there /was/ an actual
annular solar eclipse, taken as a sign that the time had come - in
February of the year of the rebellion, 1831, and Southampton County VA
was nearly on its center line.   Turner, who had (pre-rebellion) escaped
and fasted in the wilderness, had visions during his fast, including of
blood coming from the corn, and of black and white angels wrestling in
the sky.

Lou Turner, on the panel, recommended to us Nat Turner's Confessions,
dictated in prison after he turned himself in.  They became maybe the
first American best-seller book.  (Text is on line here
<http://www.melanet.com/nat/nat.html> and surely elsewhere.)   The film
doesn't try to show anything about them.  And it only hints at the great
influence Turner's rebellion had going forward.

It really was a wonderful panel (whose good comments the notes above
don't begin to summarize).   Thanks to all who took part!   Paul Mueth
made an audio recording - I hope it turns out to be usable.

And even with its limitations, this looks to be an important film.    I
hope people, especially white people, will see it.