[Peace-discuss] Chomsky on Syria and Clinton

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Oct 28 03:18:57 UTC 2016

That’s not quite right, Mort:

[1] Chomsky is hardly "a strong advocate for future President Hillary”: he makes the reasonable case for lesser-evil voting in the abstract and then on that basis suggest a vote for Clinton in swing states, while he (in Massachusetts) votes for Stein; but many of us disagree that Clinton is the lesser evil.

[2] He’s actually been quite outspoken this year as in years past on US war in the Mideast - if rather dismissive of the significance many are attaching to the presidential election, e.g. -

"My feeling is that [voting is] a decision but it's the kind of decision that's kind of tenth order. I think it should be made in five minutes... Most of the time it's a very small decision, maybe if you can, you just have to compare the alternatives and see if there is on balance any difference but it doesn't seem to be a fundamental question.”

He has for years argued that oppositional politics cannot be a matter of voting and then going home…  —CGE