[Peace-discuss] Events this week - two re #NoDAPL opposing Dakota Access oil pipeline (#NoDAPL)

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 04:54:22 UTC 2016

Upcoming events - including **two** related to the Dakota Access Oil
Pipeline, on Mon 9/12 (6:30 Urbana), and on Fri 9/16 (5pm Champaign).

The Friday 5pm Scott Park (Champaign) event is Native-led and organized,
in solidarity with the Standing Rock water protectors in North Dakota,
where thousands of Native people are assembled in peaceful opposition to
the Dakota Access Pipeline.   Hope you can attend, and please let others
know.

Hope too: at 6:30pm Wednesday 9/14, please come watch Naomi Klein's film
"This Changes Everything", on climate change and citizen action.
Discussion to follow, including brief popup talks by several groups you
can get involved with.

Though not strictly anti-war events, they lie at the intersection of
anticolonialism, the global geopolitics of energy, and the importance of
popular resistance.

    Urge Urbana City Council to *oppose **Dakota Access Pipeline (#NoDAPL)*
    Gather at City building at 6:30; Council meeting begins at 7.
Organized by Robert Naiman.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/nodapl-action-at-urbana-city-council-meeting?referrer=sierra-club

Wed 9/14, 6:30pm-9pm, Channing-Murray Foundation, 1209 W. Oregon, Urbana
    "This Changes Everything" film & discussion, with popup talks by
*groups you can get involved with*
    Film by Naomi Klein, on climate change and citizen action
    https://www.facebook.com/events/329641967375716/

Fri 9/16, noon-1pm, University YMCA (Friday Forum), 1001 S. Wright St.,
Champaign
    "Politics of Climate Change in Illinois", talk by Jen Walling, IL
Environmental Council
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1047884435309318/

Fri 9/16, 5-7pm, Scott Park, Champaign (between 2nd & 3rd Sts, between
Springfield and Healey)
    "In Solidarity with Standing Rock, the Earth, and all People, we
will gather as Protectors in Peace at Scott Park in Champaign, IL"
    Vigil/rally solidarity with the Standing Rock water protectors,
peacefully opposing the Dakota Access Pipeline.
    Organized by local Native people.   Everyone is welcome.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1787572761459012/

More details on the above -->

Mon 9/12, 6:30pm, Urbana City Council Chambers, 400 S. Vine St, Urbana
    #NoDAPL -- Come urge the Urbana City Council to adopt a resolution
saying that they oppose the Dakota Access Oil Pipeline, and calling on
the Obama Administration to ask the Corps of Engineers to revoke its
construction permit.   This pipeline, running through the Dakotas, Iowa
and into Illinois, would carry over a half million barrels per day of
North Dakota Bakken crude oil - running through Native American lands,
and putting major waterways at risk.     More below, or sign up to say
you're coming:

https://actionnetwork.org/events/nodapl-action-at-urbana-city-council-meeting?referrer=sierra-club

Wed 9/14, 6:30pm-9pm, Channing-Murray Foundation, 1209 W. Oregon, Urbana

    Free and open to the public - Refreshments will be served.
    Followed by discussion & avenues for action.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/329641967375716/

    Inspired by Naomi Klein’s book, "This Changes Everything: Capitalism
    vs. the Climate," this film presents seven powerful portraits of
    communities on the front lines of the climate crisis, and Klein
    contends that "we can seize the existential crisis of climate change
    to transform our failed economic system into something radically
    better."

    Please join us to call attention to the most important environmental
    issue of our time.

    A short trailer and more information about the film is here:
    http://thefilm.thischangeseverything.org/about
    <http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthefilm.thischangeseverything.org%2Fabout&h=3AQEf-AHo&enc=AZNpUujpM_o-XhI3BUHp5ILV-CtrzD8p2sEEQTaucNFT_4dcVf059Mj6Lw7Tjg4E9TQ&s=1>

    Thanks to our cosponsors! Channing-Murray Foundation, Students for
    Environmental Concerns (SECS), Eco-Justice Collaborative, Faith In
    Place, Social Action Committee/Green UUs of the
    Unitarian-Universalist Church of Urbana-Champaign, IL Environmental
    Council, WATCH (We’re Against Toxic Chemicals), Just Foreign Policy,
    AWARE, C-U Friends Meeting, University YMCA, Wesley Methodist Church
    Green Team, Central IL Chapter of Jobs with Justice, Prairie Rivers
    Network, Champaign County Health Care Consumers.

Fri 9/16, 5-7pm, Scott Park, Champaign (between 2nd & 3rd Sts, between
Springfield and Healey)

    https://www.facebook.com/events/1787572761459012/

    In Solidarity with Standing Rock, the Earth, and all People, we will
    gather as Protectors in Peace at Scott Park in Champaign, IL on
    Friday, September 16th from 5:00pm-7:00pm.

    This event is Native-organized. We ask our entire community to join
    us, but honor our request for this to be a Native-led and
    Indigenous-centered space. To that end, we’ll begin with a schedule
    of Indigenous speakers, followed by an open mic for all those
    joining us in solidarity. Community, please join us. In our
    tradition, all our children are our children. Everyone belongs here.

    OVERVIEW OF WHAT IS HAPPENING and OUR CALL TO ACTION:

    Thousands of Native Americans from over 100 tribes are campedon the
    banks of the Cannonball River in North Dakota near the Standing Rock
    Sioux (Dakota/Lakota) Reservation in a peaceful attempt to halt
    construction of the Dakota Access oil pipeline, a 1200 mile long
    pipeline running from the Bakken oil fields in North Dakota to
    southern Illinois. The protesters tell us that the pipeline is
    desecrating land sacred to the Standing Rock Sioux and putting
    critical water supplies at risk of contamination. Over Labor Day
    weekend, security guards for the pipeline’s owners used attack dogs
    and pepper spray against protesters in a manner reminiscent of civil
    rights protests in the 1960s. On September 8, the governor of North
    Dakota called in the National Guard to provide backup to local law
    enforcement against the protesters. Mainstream media coverage of
    these events has been extremely sparse to date, and most news is
    being transmitted via social media.

    This situation lends clarity to a remarkable array of issues we need
    to be able to think about, including caring for our beautiful planet
    Earth and all of the people and other creatures who share it. The
    events in North Dakota are an extraordinary example both of
    capitalist institutions aligned against pro-human, pro-environmental
    interests, and the 21st century model of how genocide is aimed at
    Indigenous peoples. This is not a time to stay silent or passive to
    determine what we do. Come and join the movement instead!