[Peace-discuss] Peace-discuss Digest, Vol 152, Issue 127

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 13:31:39 UTC 2016

Hi Muhammad,

Even accepting the need for the focused nature of these demands, I find the following lethally problematic:

WE DEMAND that all on-campus sexual predators, especially those affiliated with the Greek Life system, face severe penalties for all forms of sexual violence.

It's particularly discordant because it is black men in particular, including black athletes, who have been falsely or problematically accused of sexual assault on college campuses. I've written about this:

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/06/24/rape-culture-the-hunting-ground-and-amy-goodman-a-critical-perspective/

Moreover, the argument has been made that demands for mandatory sentencing of rapists will deter judges from exercising discretion in relation to non-violent drug offense sentencing that have been so destructive to black males and communities. The Marshall Project has weighed in on this, in opposition to the removal of Judge Persky in the Brock Allen Turner (Stanford) case.

And whatever the possible (but by no means clear) validity of singling out Greek Life as a structural source of rape culture, it's ill-advised to "especially" single out individuals on the basis of their affiliation to face "severe penalties." That's just tone deaf to basic legal rights.

This demand simply cannot be supported as written; unfortunately, it invalidates the entire exercise. I find no pleasure in saying this.

Best,

David