[Peace-discuss] Veterans for Peace condemns US actions in Syria

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 15:07:38 UTC 2017

On 4/7/17 10:38 PM, Carl G. Estabrook via Peace-discuss wrote:
> https://www.veteransforpeace.org/our-work/position-statements/veterans-peace-condemns-us-actions-syria

Thank you, Carl.   This is a good statement.   Karen Aram, what do you
think about offering copies of this when we are flyering downtown
tomorrow (though most of us aren't veterans, we /are/ for peace)?

Here's the text of the Veterans for Peace statement -

  Veterans For Peace Condemns U.S. Actions In Syria

Veterans For Peace condemns the illegal U.S. attack in Syria. We call on
the Trump Administration to immediately end all military actions in
Syria and to begin intense U.S. diplomatic efforts to end the conflict
in the region. We call on our members and all those who want an end to
U.S. wars to contact the President and Congress, to meet and talk to
people about peaceful means to end the war in Syria and hit the streets
to make our resistance to war visible.

*Call the White House  202-456-1111 and your Senators and Congressional
Representatives 202-224-3121 and tell them that military action only
increases the dangers and intensifies the humanitarian catastrophe in
the region.*

Veterans For Peace mourns the deaths of those recently killed in the
chemical attack and the hundreds of thousands of lives that have passed
over the last six years of this conflict.

The physical effects of a chemical attack and the way it kills is
horrendous. The president stated, “No child should ever suffer such
horror.” But the ongoing war itself is horrific with many more children
dying due to countless attacks by all forces involved, disease, and
other war related crises. The madness of this multi-sided war must end.
We demand the Trump administration remove all military operations within
Syria and to stop flooding the region with arms sales.

The United States is not innocent in the death of over 400,000 people in
Syria and across the region since 2011. For more than two decades, the
U.S. has been the most powerful destabilizing factor in the region. For
the last few years, the U.S. has and continues to support and conduct
military operations within the borders of Syria with devastating
effects, including the bombing and killing of civilians. Further, the
1991 U.S. led invasion of Iraq, the no-fly zones led by U.S. forces, the
war in Afghanistan and the second invasion of Iraq are twenty-six years
of continuous U.S. military operations. The cumulative effects of U.S.
war-making, decisions made as part of the occupation of Iraq and the
subsequent rise of ISIL are the most impactful factors in creating the
refugee crisis and the regional destabilization the president referred
to in his statement.

It should be clear after more than a generation of war that more war and
violence as witnessed in last night’s attacks will not bring an end to
the killing and suffering. There are no positive effects coming out of
U.S. involvement in Syria and it only further contributes to the death
and destruction of the Syrian people.  We call on the President to stop
ratcheting up tension at home and around the world. The “peace and
harmony” he calls for cannot prevail through cycles of violence.

VFP has learned that there are various protests across the country today
and tomorrow.  We've assembled this list
<https://www.veteransforpeace.org/who-we-are/member-highlights/2017/04/07/protests-against-us-missile-strikes-syria>,
to the best of our ability.