[Peace-discuss] People's Climate March (2pm Sat) in Grace Church, Springfield & Prospect

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 16:11:58 UTC 2017

Hope you've been hearing about the People's Climate March happening
tomorrow, April 29th, around the country.   Some people are going from
here to Washington DC for a big march there, but there are many sister
marches around the country, including here in Champaign.

The C-U People's Climate March *location **has changed *due to weather:

    2-4pm Saturday, April 29th

    *Grace Lutheran Church*
    *313 S. Prospect (corner of Springfield and Prospect), Champaign*

A bunch of groups are tabling, with the idea that we hope to connect the
importance of addressing climate change with a suite of connected
efforts.   So the People's Climate Platform, alongside planks about
investing in renewable energy and energy efficiency, also includes
demands for a $15 minimum wage, as well as things like:

    Ensure that in the New Energy and Economic Future, investments are
    targeted to create pathways for low-income people and people of
    color to access good jobs and improve the lives of communities of
    color, indigenous peoples, low-income people, small farmers, women,
    and workers.

and

    Provide a Just Transition for communities and workers negatively
    impacted by the shift to a New Energy and Economic Future that
    includes targeted economic opportunity and provides stable income,
    health care, and education.

Groups tabling include Sierra Club, Food and Water Watch, Prairie Rivers
Network, Eco-Justice Collaborative, the Prairie Greens, PDA, U of I
Students for Environmental ConcernS, Demand Universal Healthcare,  UU
Church of Urbana-Champaign, and others.

And among the speakers, along with representatives of some of the above
groups, will be State Sen. Scott Bennett, State Rep. Carol Ammons, and
two high school students from a youth environmental group called
iMatter, who write that

>     We have created a report card that evaluates the cities’
>     environmental progress in comparison to where scientists say that
>     we need to be. The students will present this report card to both
>     the Champaign and Urbana City Council in early May as well as put
>     forward a Climate Inheritance Resolution that they will ask the
>     city to sign and petition signatures in support that they have
>     collected at their schools.

We may go marching along the Springfield/Prospect sidewalk afterward.