[Peace-discuss] Comments from Climate March, etc.

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 30 16:20:56 UTC 2017

>From Paul Wood's N-G summary:
"State Rep. Carol Ammons, D-Urbana, who has formed a committee to explore taking on Davis in the next election, also blasted Trump."
"State Sen. Scott Bennett, D-Champaign, summed up much of the conversation when he said that politicians should not be deciding issues dealing with the environment based on information from lobbyists and special interests.It "shouldn't be politicians, it should be scientists" who are the leading force in deciding climate issues, he said."
I would suggest that both of these comments were misdirected and self-serving. I would also suggest that the organizers should not have allowed this to become an opportunity for political self-promotion by Democratic Party operatives. A politically honest event would have been a panel with all parties represented, under the conditions that they propose a serious program that they plan to advocate within their party and in their party's campaigns.
I would suggest that Bennett's comments regarding scientists and politicians is an evasion of an evasion.
I would suggest that the goal of the organizers should have been to enlist the attendees in a movement to promote specific approaches to addressing climate change at fundamental political and economic levels, in a committed fashion that would involve a coalition of groups, including antiwar. Perhaps this aspect of the event was unreported by Paul Wood.
I would suggest that a constructive Green Party position is being suggested by Gar Alperovitz; it includes both environmental and economic perspectives:
https://www.thenation.com/article/the-policy-weapon-climate-activists-need/
Transcripts are not yet posted for the videos below, but should be within days:

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=767&Itemid=74&jumival=18959
http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=767&Itemid=74&jumival=18960
Respectfully,
David Green