[Peace-discuss] Migrating AWARE's electronic resources to different hosting?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Aug 16 00:02:42 UTC 2017

Hi peace-discuss readers,

I notice that from time to time people post the same article twice to the
peace-discuss mailing list by sending posts to both:

   peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
   peace-discuss at anti-war.net

instead of just one address.

Relatedly, I don't know what AWARE's current hosting is.

I recall that AWARE used to host with the Urbana-Champaign Independent
Media Center (UCIMC) and (many years ago) I was told by someone working at
the UCIMC that the UCIMC server was not faring well: that server was set up
to send out periodic mailing list password reminders, for instance, and
this large amount of outbound email put a considerable strain on their server.

If AWARE is still hosting with UCIMC, and UCIMC's server is still not
really set up to handle things well (with off-site backups, server
redundancy, uninterruptible power supply set up and working, etc.) it seems
to me that AWARE could fix this double-posting problem and the hosting for
AWARE can be improved at the same time by migrating to different hosting.

On a new host set up to handle mailing lists at one domain, the AWARE
mailing lists would have a single definitive address at anti-war.net (or
whatever domain AWARE obtains).

I've hosted domain names, mailing lists, and websites with DreamHost.com
for over a decade and received good results.

This isn't an ad for DreamHost.com; I don't work for DreamHost.com and I
make nothing by recommending them. I'm a satisfied user of their services
and thought it would be worth recommending them to AWARE.

If AWARE is interested in migrating the following:

- anti-war.net domain
- peace-announce mailing list
- peace-discuss mailing list
- AWARE's website
- any mailboxes or forwarding addresses hosted for AWARE on AWARE's domain

to DreamHost.com's commercial hosting, I offer my assistance to do a
one-time migration and document the resulting setup for AWARE's IT admins.

I'm a professional IT admin at the University of Illinois and I'm familiar
with what DreamHost.com has to offer. My offer of assistance has absolutely
nothing to do with the University of Illinois and is in no way connected to
the University of Illinois; no part of my assistance involves hosting with
the University of Illinois.

Is there any interest in migrating AWARE's electronic resources to
DreamHost.com?

Please let me know.

Thanks.
-J.B. Nicholson