[Peace-discuss] Thought for the day

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Aug 18 18:05:09 UTC 2017

I don't think there's any reason to despair about this, at least not yet. A
very big thing just happened in the U.S. in terms of U.S. politics. A
nonviolent protester was killed by a fascist at an antifascist rally, and
then Trump spectacularly asserted in a press conference that white
supremacists are morally equivalent to antifascists. That is a big deal,
it's normal that it's taking a lot of attention from people in the U.S. -
it's taking a lot of attention all over the world. Prominent voices in
Israel are outraged about Netanyahu's unwillingness to denounce it - that's
what a big deal it is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/world/middleeast/netanyahu-trump-charlottesville.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/08/17/why-did-netanyahu-wait-so-long-to-condemn-anti-semitism-in-charlottesville/

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/08/16/543913980/israels-netanyahu-faces-criticism-for-delayed-reaction-to-charlottesville-rally

Congress is out of session. We don't have any really good hooks right now
to sharpen contradictions over U.S. imperialism, nothing that could
plausibly compete for attention with the domestic drama.

But when the Congress comes back at the beginning of September, I believe
that we are going to have a big fight about U.S. participation in the
famine-inducing Saudi war in Yemen.

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy
www.justforeignpolicy.org
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
(202) 448-2898 x1

House: Use War Powers to Save A Million Yemeni Kids from Cholera & Famine
https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/force-vote-on-saudi-war?r_by=1135580

@clairecmc, @SenDonnelly, @Sen_JoeManchin, @MarkWarner, @SenBillNelson:
#StopArmingSaudi War Crimes in Yemen
https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/senate-stop-arming-saudi?r_by=1135580