[Peace-discuss] [New post] Politics in this country has never felt the way the it does now…

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 02:22:53 UTC 2017

Mort--

I disagree with the parallel between the Nixon administration and the Trump administration, largely because it’s couched in personal terms, rather than in terms of policies - continuous, but not identical. It collapses the differences between 40 years ago and today. History doesn’t repeat itself, even if it occasionally rhymes.

Even to sound the rhyme requires accurate descriptions of the politics of each administration - and the US political establishment is desperate to misrepresent what they want this administration to do (namely, promote corporate globalism and retard Eurasian economic integration - both for the profits of the US 1%).

Instead of accurate descriptions of Nixon and Trump, we have almost exclusively tendentious accounts, particularly from liberals. I suggested what the Nixon administration was (viz., the culmination of the New Deal), and the Trump administration (viz., a proposed rejection of 40 years of neoliberalism and neoconservatism - now cudgeled into the pro-war/pro-Wall St. shape of the Obama administration: “a US-led NATO is on Russia’s borders and sanctions persist”).

I do not defend Trump but want to point out that it was his suggestion of a modus vivendi with Russia that so frightened and enraged the US political establishment - for good reason, if one pays attention to the crimes that that establishment has committed vis-a-vis Russia since the fall of the Soviet Union.

The differences between Trump and Obama in action on practically all the matters you mention (military buildup, nuclear weapons, Korean provocations, environmental nonfeasance, Israeli policies re Iran and Palestine, education, judicial appointments, etc.) are differences of style, not substance. The victims of those policies don’t notice much change.

Of course Trump has the context of “the drone murders and the continuing depredations in Afghanistan and Syria” -  “the most extreme terrorist campaign of modern times” and the only president to be at (illegal) war throughout two terms. But he lacks his predecessor’s talent for hiding his crimes.

Trump is estopped from making any real changes in the policies of the Obama (and Bush, etc.) administrations because he’s probably the weakest president since Coolidge (from whom he differs primarily in bluster).

If the Nuremberg principles had been applied to US presidents since WWII, they all would have been hanged - and Trump as well (for the “supreme international crime ... aggressive war”). Recognizing that destroys the propaganda of the US political establishment, up to the moment, as they try to foist those policies on Trump, largely successfully.

Chomsky, who as you know I regard as the most cogent American political analyst of the last half-century, noted that - as he said - “Nixon’s defenders had a case,” if one attended to the nature of US politics at the time - rather than just to his presumably rotten character; the same can be said of Trump. They both are scapegoats. Trump is not the problem: US war-making is.

The effective political establishment in America hides its crimes by directing attention to personal failings. “Resistance” to Trump is a distraction from the establishment’s nefarious policies at home and abroad. (See “Anti-Trumpism Is Anti-Progressivism In Disguise” <https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/anti-trumpism-is-anti-progressivism-in-disguise-9e688e6152e9>.)

The deficiencies of presidential character in our lifetimes shouldn’t blind us to the fact that the polity for which we’re responsible is “the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today” - and has been throughout our lifetimes. “Two minutes’ hate” for chief executives like Nixon and Trump doesn’t make up for the crimes that we’ve allowed American liberals - from Kennedy and Johnson to Clinton and Obama - to commit; and that continue.

Regards, CGE