[Peace-discuss] Anti-war flyer for Saturday

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 1 18:10:33 UTC 2017

<https://www.facebook.com/groups/305897426305/?multi_permalinks=10154998809846306&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1485878420578118#>
<https://www.facebook.com/cgestabrook?fref=nf>
[https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-1/p50x50/15420933_10208540622932903_4873907131868161648_n.jpg?oh=61fd172e7c348c30e014a218835286fb&oe=5913A299]
Carl G. Estabrook<https://www.facebook.com/cgestabrook?fref=nf>
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/305897426305/?multi_permalinks=10154998809846306&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1485878420578118#>9 mins<https://www.facebook.com/groups/305897426305/permalink/10154998809846306/>

[Text of a flyer prepared for distribution at the regular monthly AWARE anti-war demonstration, Saturday 4 Feb., 2-4pm, Main & Neil in Champaign; editorial suggestions welcome.]
=============================
NO MUSLIM BAN! NO CHINA WAR!
President Trump must break with the policies of his predecessors.

“I and the public know / What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done / Do evil in return.” --W. H. Auden

[1] NO MUSLIM BAN. President Trump’s restrictions on entry to the US - designed to lessen the chance of terrorist attacks on Americans - are approved by a majority of Americans, but he is going about it in the wrong way. “In War against terrorism or expansion of the American Empire?” (2002), William Blum, former State Department employee and historian of US interventions, puts it as follows:

“If I were the president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United States in a few days. Permanently. I would first apologize - very publicly and very sincerely - to all the widows and the orphans, the impoverished and the tortured, and all the many millions of other victims of American imperialism. I would then announce that America's global interventions - including the awful bombings - have come to an end. And I would inform Israel that it is no longer the 51st state of the union but – oddly enough – a foreign country. I would then reduce the military budget by at least 90% and use the savings to pay reparations to the victims and repair the damage from the many American bombings and invasions...”

[2] NO CHINA WAR. A war between the greatest military power and the world's second largest economy is no longer unthinkable. The media is beating the drums of war as the world is being primed to regard China as a new enemy. The disputed islands in the South China Sea have become a flashpoint for war between China and America. American bases form a giant noose encircling China with missiles, bombers, warships all the way from Australia through the Pacific to Asia and beyond.

A stereotype of communist dictatorship is widely spread by the US, preventing from understanding China as it is. The Chinese government is not trying to run the world. They want to keep America from dominating the region.

The US massive military build-up is known in Washington as the ‘pivot to Asia’. The target is China. President Obama in 2011 said that creating an American presence in the Asia Pacific was his "top priority.” For America's unchallenged arms industry, the annual prize is huge profits from almost $600 billion of military spending - but the smartest weapons need enemies. With the current situation in the South China Sea, the danger of confrontation grows by the day.

[3] ANTI-WAR GROUPS HERE & ABROAD CALL ON PRESIDENT TRUMP TO
~ (1) establish a foreign policy based on diplomacy, international law, human rights, and respect for the sovereignty of other nations; end war provocations In Europe and Asia;
~ (2) end the wars (in the Mideast and elsewhere) and stop US drone assassinations;
~ (3) cut US military spending by at least 50% and close the more than 700 foreign military bases (neither Russia nor China has more than twelve); bring US troops (and weapons) home; and withdraw US ‘special forces’ - death squads - sent into 70% of the world’s countries;
~ (4) stop US support for human rights abusers, notably Israel and Saudi Arabia; and
~ (5) lead on global nuclear disarmament.

ANTI-WAR ANTI-RACISM EFFORT - on Facebook at “AWARE of Champaign Urbana Illinois”
###