[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Check out this story on Foreign Policy

Roger Helbig rwhelbig at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:36:20 UTC 2017

Here is what I sent to Foreign Policy - apparently, I sent it to the wrong
part - I have not yet looked for the "reporter"'s personal e-mail.  He
works for a biased organization so I would not presume him to be
objective.  I had presumed Foreign Policy to be objective, but this is not
really their story.

I am disappointed that your headline claims DU is a toxic material.  Pretty
> much anything used as a projectile is toxic - lead is toxic, copper is
> toxic, DU is no more toxic than these.  It is just far more maligned,
> mainly falsely by groups such as the ICBUW which is itself falsely named
> since there is no such thing as a Uranium Weapon.  A DU kinetic energy
> penetrator is not a weapon; it is a bullet.  The ICBUW though wanted to
> pretend that DU is a weapon of mass destruction and it has done well
> financially for itself, whatever that really is since they are not a
> registered charity in the UK where they are based in Manchester.  You want
> to do a good well researched story with no bias, find out exactly what the
> ICBUW is, where the money comes from, where it goes, and how it came to
> be.  You will find a very fascinating story that really needs to be told
> about this manipulative group.

I later sent them this addendum

Just read the story in more depth - where is evidence that 1 million rounds
of DU or even of Combat Mix were fired in Iraq in 2003? - do you have such
evidence or is it just supposition?

There have been false claims that DU rounds were fired in Somalia, in
Libya, in Afghanistan and by the Israelis in Gaza and Lebanon, so I am very
concerned that articles claiming to be accurately reported are in fact
accurate and not based on a source such as the ICBUW, which is where I
strongly suspect Airwars, which does not appear particularly credible to
me, got their information.

I have also written the Associate Professor quoted in the article
questioning what she personally knows about depleted uranium.  She has not
yet replied.