[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Check out this story on Foreign Policy

Roger Helbig rwhelbig at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 01:32:12 UTC 2017

This part of your message to me is what is not accurate - it is all
propaganda, but extremely widespread and well believed propaganda -

"As to the article in relation to Depleted Uranium, I welcome information
refuting the claims that the US used Depleted Uranium in Syria given the
damage it does to people, children, newborns. "

Rokke was very active speaking and still does - he is all over the internet
but lies through his teeth - he and colleague Leuren K Moret referred to
the "1943 Memorandum to General Groves" (which I think that one of them or
someone that they know created) that is actually a forged document.  They
claim that it shows that US Army knew that DU was extremely hazardous back
in 1943.  Rokke further claimed in radio interview by Sunny Miller then of
Traprock Peace Center, now an artist in Indiana, that many of the soldiers
he served with in cleaning up DU after the Gulf War have died due to the
effects noted in this memo.  The memo is a forgery.  It consists of four
pages, one each from four different documents.  I have found one of the
documents by painstakingly going through microfilms at the UC Berkeley
library; then I found that those microfilms have been put on line.  That
document was written in 1944 after the supposed October 1943 document was
prepared.  It further is the basis for the secret radiological monitoring
of the D-Day invasion because the US and UK, knowing that splitting of the
atom was first scientifically discovered in Germany, expected that the
Germans might have operating atomic piles (nuclear reactors) and might have
been able to create large quantities of fission products and use those as
an unseen but deadly area denial weapon.  This document was one of the
first things I researched after I began my research into DU.  It still is
in the Wikipedia - the Talk Page contains my extensive comments.

this is the page I found (see my comments in Talk section) - the file was
probably released by the DOE in the 90's - I can not verify that because
those files are not on the internet and I can not go to the archive in
Maryland to research the physical files

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_talk:Groves_memo_30oct43_p2.GIF

Now you believe this

*given the damage it does to people, children, newborns*.  - why do you
believe this?  I know of no legitimate research that confirms this - I know
of substantial research that refutes it - these claims were the centerpiece
of Saddam Hussein's propaganda, but as you have shown they still abound.
Every anti-war person in the world probably believes it as Gospel.

Roger

When you have a gun that fires 6000 rounds per minute, you are talking of
at most perhaps three aircraft (probably more like two) that were
mistakenly loaded with "Combat Mix" with DU penetrator rounds, which are
most most likely just below or at ground level in reasonably intact
condition since none of them hit a tank or heavily armored vehicle.  These
present no threat to the environment or people at all.  Uranium simply is
not that radioactive.  U-238, aka DU is the weakest naturally occurring
radioactive elemental isotope.