[Peace-discuss] No Support to the Democrats, Republicans, or Any Party of the Bosses

David Johnson davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 20 13:47:43 UTC 2017

In my opinion, the best resolution on the issue was passed by Painters Local
10 in Portland last August. Unfortunately, the left ignored it. But here it
is again:

International Union of Painters and Allied Trades

LOCAL UNION NO. 10

11105 N.E. SANDY BLVD.

PORTLAND, OREGON 97220

Website:  <http://www.iupatdc5.org> www.iupatdc5.org

PHONE: (503) 257-0589 ● FAX: (503) 262-5358 ● OOWL: (503) 262-5347

No Support to the Democrats, Republicans, or Any Party of the Bosses

Whereas the bosses have two parties to represent their class while the
millions of working people have none, and

Whereas the Democratic president Barack Obama sent the U.S. Coast Guard to
enforce scabbing against the International Longshore and Warehouse Union
during the 2013-14 lock-out of northwest dock workers, and

Whereas the Democratic governor Kate Brown opposed and undercut the movement
for a $15 minimum wage across Oregon, and

Whereas in 2014 Democrats in Congress joined with Republicans to pass a
disastrous pension "reform," allowing the bosses to escape their obligations
and cheat our retirees, and

Whereas the two presidencies of the Democrat Barack Obama have been eight
years of unending war in the Middle East, North Africa and Asia, causing
untold human suffering, millions of refugees, and attacks on our democratic
rights at home, and

Whereas the Democratic Party in power has deported some 5 million
immigrants, a record, and

Whereas across the country, from Oakland to Baltimore, police under
Democratic mayors regularly murder black men and women with impunity, and

Whereas the 2016 presidential election offers us the "choice" between a
raving, bigoted clown and a career representative of Wall Street, and

Whereas the Democratic vice-presidential candidate, Virginia governor Tim
Kaine, supports union- busting "right to work" laws, and

Whereas Democrats and Republicans are and have always been strike-breaking,
war-making parties of the bosses, and

Whereas so long as the labor movement supports one or another party of the
bosses, we will be playing a losing game, therefore be it

Resolved that IUPAT Local 10 does not support the Democrats, Republicans, or
any bosses' parties or politicians, and Resolved that we call on the
International Union to repudiate its endorsement of Hillary Clinton for
president, and Resolved that we call on the labor movement to break from the
Democratic Party, and build a class- struggle workers party

Approved at the August 17, 2016 Regular Meeting of the Membership

The board of directors of the nurses in Minnesota, MNA, “calls upon the
NNU, [the National Nurses Union] the AFL-CIO and the wider labor movement to
start an intense discussion about workplace education and information
meetings and protest action on May Day, May 1, 2017, including a discussion
within the AFL-CIO about a call for a nationwide strike that day.”

In Philadelphia, the nurses organized in TUHNA, passed a resolution
committing to “initiate a discussion within PASNAP,” their statewide union
in Pennsylvania, “about the concrete steps necessary to build the
resistance against the new administration’s rightwing agenda and to pivot
that defensive struggle to an offensive one to win improved Medicare for
All.”

Small beginnings, I know, but we have to start somewhere.