[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Inside Trump Defense Secretary Pick’s Efforts to Halt Torture - The New York Times

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 22:02:36 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Carl G. Estabrook via Peace <
peace at lists.chambana.net> wrote:

These are important articles.

> Those who draw parallels between Trump and Mussolini/Hitler should
> consider militarism.  Fascist movements in 20th-century Europe were
> militaristic and belligerent; they attacked neighbors (Ethiopia, Poland) by
> design.

AFTER they had first secured and consolidated their virtually absolute
power in their countries of origin.

> But Trump ran for president, criticizing Clinton's belligerent militarism,
> past and future.

If I remember correctly, Hitler was a "peace candidate" too, in the
beginning.  He was a master of propaganda, with the able assistance of
Goebbels.  Meanwhile he let his brownshirts do his dirty work for him in
the streets.  Sound at all familiar?

> Also, the states in which Italian and German fascism arose - Weimar
> Germany and the kingdom of Italy - were notably pacific. But the US in the
> last two generations has been “the greatest purveyor of violence in the
> world today" (M. L. King). Since World War II, US presidents have killed
> more than 20 million people in 37 nations and President Obama is the first
> US president - ever - to have been at war throughout two presidential
> terms. He has attacked eight countries (two more than George Bush), and he
> is today conducting what has been called “the most extreme terrorist
> campaign of modern times” - his drone assassinations. He has killed
> thousands of civilians with drones, including US citizens and hundreds of
> children. His chosen successor indicated that she would do the same, and
> more.
>
> I do think war was the most important issue in the recent election. But
> Trump wasn’t the fascist.  —

Not quite yet.