[Peace-discuss] It's not over yet.....

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 7 01:37:19 UTC 2017

The Washington Times: View Comments<http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/27/russia-enraged-us-arming-syrian-rebels-manpads/#disqus_thread>
 Print
By L. Todd Wood<http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/l-todd-wood/> - - Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The Russian Foreign Ministry declared U.S. intentions to provide Syrian “rebels” fighting the Assad regime in the Syrian Civil War as a “hostile move.” Barack Obama signed the 2017 Defense Authorization bill on Dec. 23rd of this year. The bill provides authorization for the Department of Defense to arm the rebels with shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles or ManPADS.

The Russians have a long memory of the Stinger missiles that were provided by the CIA to the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan, which turned the tide of the conflict and forced Soviet withdrawal from the country.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Tuesday regarding the missiles falling into the hands of the Islamic State, “Perhaps, they even expect this to happen, since they actually sponsor the Jabhat al-Nusra [terrorist group, outlawed in Russia - TASS], which is a unit of al Qaeda. This can hardly be called otherwise than aiding and abetting terrorists,” reports Russian State News Agency TASS.

“The relevant decision also poses a direct threat to aircraft of the Russian Aerospace Forces, other Russian military personnel and our Embassy in Syria that has been shelled repeatedly…That is why we consider this to be a hostile move…Instead of pooling efforts to counter rampaging extremists of every stripe and color, as we have suggested for a long time, Washington is staking on the provision of military aid to anti-government units, which differ little from bloody thugs,” stated Zakharov