[Peace-discuss] Harvard Law School Dean Search

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 13 13:50:27 UTC 2017

Actually, I think you’re skipping a generation (or more) here, Francis, in regard to the 'political class' (roughly the 20% of the US population who went to a ‘good’ college).

[1] Halberstam’s "The Best and the Brightest" (1972) discussed the assault on Vietnam by JFK’s contemporaries - born ca. 1920.

[2] Their sons and daughters were the baby boomers, including those who protested the Vietnam War, at Harvard and elsewhere.

[3] Their grandsons and granddaughters (b. ca. 1970) are now protesting Trump (who’s not PLU) in a desperate attempt to revive the Democratic party against the world-wide threat of populism.

[4] And the next generation are the much-touted millennials, who’ve grown up in an America of increasing (and accelerating) inequality - and have taken sides in it, in various ways.

These generational views are I think visible even in what Chomsky once called "the academy for the passive and obedient” in Harvard Square.

Regards, CGE