[Peace-discuss] World Court 1 April 1993: Republic of Bosnia & Herzegovina v. Yugoslavia for Genocide

Boyle, Francis A fboyle at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 17 17:03:01 UTC 2017

Conclusion
	At this the current break-point in my ongoing Bosnian story in medias res, the reader is probably asking yourself: What good are international laws and international lawyers? My answer is simple: Without them, all of Bosnia could have been turned into Srebrenica! Or worse.
	In order to argue my Second Request for Provisional Measures of Protection for the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Bosnians before the International Court of Justice on 25 and 26 August 1993, I had to leave my Family on summer vacation for one week alone near Traverse City, Michigan, on the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan. When I flew back from The Hague to Traverse City airport through Chicago O'Hare airport, I was dead-tired. I had just engaged in two days of brutal hand-to-hand legal combat before the World Court and the international news media with Yugoslavia's four genocidal lawyers: Shabtai Rosenne of Israel and his Three-Stooge Serb lawyers - Moe, Larry, and Curley. Everything was at stake for R.B.I.H. and the Bosnians!
As I got off the plane and walked drearily into the terminal, I was exhausted and looked it. But there running up the concourse to meet me was my oldest son yelling at the top of his lungs: "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy..." He was just six years old and overjoyed to see me. He immediately perked me up and put a big smile on my face. I squatted down on my haunches and gave him a big hug. Then I stood him straight up in my arms and looked right into his excited little face:
"Daddy, I saw you on television running around the World Court. What were you doing at the World Court?"
	"Well son, I was fighting for the Bosnians."
	His little head lurched backwards in shocked surprise. Then he stared right at me with a most serious look, furrowed his brows, and said in an amazed tone of voice: "Daddy, did you fight with guns?"
	"No, son. I fought with words and papers."
His paternal Grandfather had fought with guns against the Japanese Imperial Army when he invaded Saipan and Tinian and Okinawa with the United States Marine Corps during the Second World War before he became a Trial Lawyer and founded his own Downtown Chicago Law Firm and promptly appointed to work as his Law Clerk at the age of 9. R.I.P.
"...
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
..."