[Peace-discuss] A Debate on the US in the Mideast

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Tue Jun 27 00:04:53 UTC 2017

AWARE, the Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort of Champaign-Urbana, wishes to
sponsor a debate in the fall semester on the current American wars in SW
Asia and N Africa - Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Somalia, Syria,
and Yemen.

Members of the university and the community are invited to participate
in a formal debate on the resolution -
RESOLVED: THE US SHOULD WITHDRAW TROOPS AND WEAPONS FROM MENA (MIDEAST &
NORTH AFRICA)

Each side (affirmative and negative) will be afforded two opening
‘constructive’ speeches, and two closing ‘rebuttal’ speeches, for a
total of eight talks, each of five minutes - followed by questions and
comments from the audience.

If you wish to participate in this debate - or have suggestions for
those who might - contact <cgestabook at gmail.com>.

============================
Two generations ago, in 1967, Americans first began to object to the US
government’s war in SE Asia, five years after it had begun with
President Kennedy’s invasion of South Vietnam, in 1962.

Today, in 2017, we are more than fifteen years into the US government’s
wars in SW Asia. The Obama administration - the first administration in
US history to be at war throughout two presidential terms - was able
largely to distract Americans from the Mideast killing for which they
were responsible. But debate about US wars in the Mideast was raised
again by the Trump administration. We Americans - in the academy and in
general - should consider what we are doing.

###