[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Anti-Empire Report, March 7, 2017

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 8 02:45:17 UTC 2017

Yes, it’s about the oil (and gas). But it’s about control of Mideast energy resources, not just (or even primarily) about access to them.

(Trump is right, if somewhat lacking in detail…) As we say in the intro to AWARE ON THE AIR,

"The US doesn’t need oil* from the Mideast, but Mideast gas and oil are needed by America’s economic competitors in Europe and Asia, and so control over them gives the US a major  advantage over Russia, China, Germany, and other countries - a chokehold which benefits only the American 1%.

"The Bush and Obama administrations launched wars in the Mideast and killed well over a million people to control world energy, but they did manage to hide much of what they’re doing from the American people, if not from the rest of the world.”
*Most of the oil imported into the US (and not re-exported) comes from the Atlantic basin - Canada, Nigeria, Venezuela… Only about 10% of what is consumed domestically is from the Mideast, and the bulk of that from the KSA. (From memory - I haven’t looked at these figures recently.)

Regards, CGE