[Peace-discuss] Immigration and the working class

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 27 14:51:20 UTC 2017

Another result of considering ‘identity’ rather than class.

Identity politics loudly condemns the obvious evils of discrimination as a substitute for having to consider the general exploitation by class.

The substitution was a surrender by US liberals in the 1970s to the rise of neoliberalism ( = the assertion of the rights of wealth). Those liberals - often Democrats - abandoned the New Deal/Great Society tradition of class politics - the attempt to ameliorate the rigors of capitalism - and accepted the reassertion of the 'rights' of capital. But their bad conscience at this betrayal led them to champion ever more vociferously the claims of discriminated groups - blacks, women et al. - so long as there was no interference in the established forms of economic exploitation.

(Hillary Clinton was the champion of identity politics in the recent election. The general uselessness of 40 years of identity politics for its supposed beneficiaries is illustrated by the fact that women and people of color made up the majority of the Trump coalition <https://medium.com/@MattBruenig/women-and-people-of-color-make-up-the-majority-of-the-trump-coalition-e9bb20f65709#.ur0jyooga>. They didn’t believe HRC and the Democrats - as they shouldn’t.)

—CGE