[Peace-discuss] Worldwide Cyber Attack today

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Sat May 13 01:22:32 UTC 2017

(removing Peace from Cc...)

There's a good article about this on Common Dreams this afternoon --

It used an Windows vulnerability discovered by the NSA years ago, but
only revealed to Microsoft after the NSA tools were leaked. Microsoft
released a fix pretty quickly - in March - but organizations that don't
often update their software remained vulnerable. The NSA could have told
Microsoft years earlier.

The argument: don't hang on to discovered security holes because "only
us good guys know about them", since of course it doesn't stay that
way.    As Edward Snowden said today, this is the consequence.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/05/12/nsa-tools-built-despite-warnings-used-global-cyber-attack