[Peace-discuss] News Gazoo against BDS

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 13:36:12 UTC 2017

And the fiery liberal spirits whom this area sends to the Illinois legislature - having been lobbied by the Israeli consulate in Chicago - couldn’t bring themselves to vote against legislation that prohibits the U of I  (among others) from investing in companies that boycott Israeli businesses because of Israeli human rights violations (including businesses based in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, in contravention of international law). That legislation is now law in Illinois.

Boycotts of businesses that are based in Israeli settlements in Occupied Palestinian territory, or that profit from Israeli human rights violations are a means of protesting Israel’s occupation and human rights violations. Such boycotts are legal under US law and have wide political support in the US and internationally, including by Peace Now (Shalom Achshav) in Israel and Americans for Peace Now in the US, Jewish Voice for Peace, the Presbyterian Church, and United Methodist Church in the US. Any private Israeli entity that wants to receive funding from the European Union must demonstrate that it has no links to the West Bank. (The ACLU of Illinois opposed the legislation.)

—CGE

"For a Responsible Legislature, Vote Against Incumbents. They Haven’t Done Well."