[Peace-discuss] Rochelle Gutierrez

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 15:55:44 UTC 2017

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-10-26/ui-defends-professor-after-book-chapter-draws-attention.html
I posted this comment on the N-G website:
 I am no advocate for post-modernism, identity politics, or related issues. But Gutierrez is absolutely correct in her analysis, and should not be dismissed as some sort of IP crackpot. You can look up Andrew Hacker's book on how Algebra and higher math is used to sort people out, with no relevance whatsoever to their achievement and potential in the vast majority of educational and vocational endeavors.
Higher math, that is, beyond arithmetic (which is now confusingly called mathematics), absolutely functions as a class/race marker. Meanwhile, if you read the mainstream media including this newspaper about basic economic, budgetary, etc. issues, you will find the gross abuse by "well-educated" people of basic arithmetic in understanding money, inflation, debt, taxes, deficits, trade, etc. That is to say, the News-Gazette editors who likely condescend to Prof. Gutierrez are consistently lacking in the basic skills, going well beyond arithmetic and to basic sociological reasoning, giving a jaundiced and often racist substance and tone to their editorial policies.