[Peace-discuss] What Harvey Wrought

Dianna Visek divisek at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 16:53:17 UTC 2017

Buchanan suggests that Hurricane Harvey may cut into the cash needed for war, which would be a Good Thing.  (The other alternative is that the printing presses would create massive inflation, which is what governments tend to do to pay for war and other crises.)

I have a question, however. Buchanan says:
"The U.S. and Turkey have urged Iraq's Kurds to put off their nonbinding referendum on independence Sept. 25. The vote seems certain to endorse a separate state. A Kurdistan, seceded from Baghdad, would be a magnet for secession-minded Kurds in Turkey, Syria and Iran, 30 million in all, and present a strategic crisis for the United States."
Why would this be a strategic crisis?  It seems like 30 million dissidents would have the opportunity to move to a happier situation and put less pressure on Turkey, Syria and Iran.  The only downside I can see is if the unhappy Kurds want to secede within Turkey, Syria and Iran rather than move.  But then why did Buchanan use the word "magnet", which implies movement?

What Harvey Wrought

|  |
What Harvey Wrought

Rasmussen Reports

Like 9/11, Hurricane Harvey brought us together. In awe at the destruction 50 inches of rain did to East T...