[Peace-discuss] Inside Dershowitz

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 03:13:51 UTC 2018

You could have quoted a worse war-criminal than Dershowitz:

“...it was Kissinger, as Nixon's security adviser, who visited Tehran in May 1972, and agreed to do the Shah the favor of organizing a Kurdish insurrection against Saddam, with whom the Shah was having trouble. The Kurdish leader, Mustafa Barzani, believed implicitly in Kissinger's guarantee, and he even gave his patron three rugs and a gold and pearl necklace as gifts when Kissinger got married. The uprising was going great guns (literally) for three years, with the Kurds sustaining thousands of casualties. Then suddenly the Shah and Saddam patched up their differences and the Shah agreed to have the CIA call off the $16 million operation. Arms and supplies to the Kurds were abruptly cut off and Mr. Barzani's forces were left to Saddam's tender mercies. Thousands tried to flee into Iran and were sent back. Barzani wrote to Kissinger, 'Your Excellency, the United States has a moral and political responsibility to our people.' There was no reply. In 1975, Kissinger was asked before the House Intelligence Committee how he could justify this betrayal. He replied, 'Covert action should not be confused with missionary work.’"

For the current situation, see "A Call to Defend Rojava,” signed by Chomsky and others, in the current NYRB: <https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/04/23/a-call-to-defend-rojava/>.

—CGE