[Peace-discuss] So much for peace on the Korean peninsula, however with reunification, it may not be so easy to control our economic sanctions.

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Apr 30 13:16:13 UTC 2018

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into this. The U.S. always goes into
negotiations with the public story being their maximal demands. It's the
same way the Obama Administration went into the Iran nuclear talks. Part of
the theory is: don't concede anything in public until there's a deal. If
there's no deal people will attack the concession and there's nothing to
show for it. In the context of a deal, one can say, ok, you didn't like
this concession, but here's what we got in exchange. And there was no way
to get that without making that concession. And besides, it's a done deal,
it's a fait accompli, so complain all ya want, the show is over, this is
done and we're moving on to the next thing.

Look how stable the Iran nuclear deal has been. If Trump gets the Korea
deal, that's the deal.

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy