[Peace-discuss] Yemen, sex trafficking, etc.

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:36:14 UTC 2018

Indispensable 2-part (20 minute) interviews on Yemen in context--no
transcripts yet.

https://therealnews.com/series/the-saudi-us-agenda-behind-destroying-yemen

As referred to on my contribution to News from Neptune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FvYcUq7tPY

My comments on this issue begin at 15:30, but watch the whole program of
course; comments welcome.

News-Gazette article on sex trafficking, CIA, Navy Seals, etc.:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2018-08-03/ileas-foundation-getting-100000-grant-help-fight-sex-trafficking.html

8/3/2018 ILEAS Foundation getting $100,000 grant to help fight sex
trafficking Fri, 08/03/2018 - 7:00am | Mary Schenk (/author/mary-schenk)
URBANA —

*As dozens of police detectives sat behind computers Thursday in Urbana
while learning the best ways to intercept childpornography peddlers and
users, a retired federal agent who specialized in that for 25 years was
around the corner announcing a $100,000 donation to help law enforcement in
Illinois with that work. "Our mission is to save children from sex
trafficking internationally and in the U.S.," said Jon Lines, operations
president for Operation Underground Railroad. It's estimated that 40
million people worldwide — half of them children — are victims of sex
trafficking, Lines said. "What used to happen on dark street corners and
brothels is now happening online," Lines said of the sophisticated network
of childsex trafficking, where most of the abused are victimized by
"western, American males." The nonprofit group, funded by donations, teams
up with law enforcement to find where those child victims are. Using former
Navy SEALS, CIA agents and special-ops operatives, they arrange and carry
out rescue missions, then work to reintegrate those victims into society,
wherever they are. The Salt Lake City-based organization has 14 full-time
paid staff members.*
Since its inception in 2013, Lines said, the group has participated in the
rescue of about 1,500 children and the arrests of about 500 child
predators. On Thursday, it announced that it will give the Illinois Law
Enforcement Alarm System Foundation $100,000 to dole out equipment for
Illinois police to use in the fight against sex trafficking. "We don't want
to see kids not saved because police don't have the resources," Lines said.
ILEAS Executive Director Jim Page said the money will pay for laptop
computers and specially designed software to ferret out child porn, much
like the officers from Illinois and Indiana were using Thursday at the
ILEAS training center. "This stuff is expensive," Page said of the
software, unsure exactly what can be bought with $100,000. The Internet
Crimes Against Children Task Force, part of state Attorney General Lisa
Madigan's office, will decide what to buy with the gift and which police
departments will get it, he said. "We are not paying for overtime or
training," Page clarified. While Madigan's office can't accept gifts of
cash, the ILEAS Foundation can and has the ability to buy in bulk, thus
sharing the group's gift with more police departments. Lines said his
organization is working to support law enforcement in 17 states in the
United States as well as in Thailand, Mexico, Colombia, Uganda and India,
to name a few other countries. "We are not some black-ops vigilantes. We go
in through the front door," Lines said, adding that the group works only in
areas where it is welcomed by law enforcement. Furthermore, it works only
in areas where there are aftercare resources to help the rescued children,
some of whom have no idea how to function in regular society and whose own
parents may have sold them into slavery. 8/3/2018 ILEAS Foundation getting
$100,000 grant to help fight sex trafficking | News-Gazette.com
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2018-08-03/ileas-foundation-getting-100000-grant-help-fight-sex-trafficking.html
3/3 The private contractors who do the rescues, he said, are usually former
law enforcement or military members with the "right mind-set and motives"
to deal with the "ugly" and "unsavory" side of child sex trafficking. "I
thought I was made of metal. I've gone in as an operative myself," said
Lines, recalling a rescue at a brothel in southeast Asia that included
teenage girls the same age as his daughter. "I got home, and I broke down.
It breaks your heart, and it's very difficult to recompose yourself." The
group's promise, featured on its website, states: "To the children who we
pray for daily, we say: Your long night is coming to an end. Hold on. We
are on our way. And to those captors and perpetrators, even you monsters
who dare offend God's precious children, we declare to you: Be afraid. We
are coming for you." "The life of one child is priceless," Lines said.
"Fifteen-hundred children on a path to recovery is exciting."