[Peace-discuss] Identity politics

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 15:00:32 UTC 2018

In the wake of the Vietnam war, neoliberalism - turbo-charged capitalism - was a conscious, calculated construction by the US business (see the Powell memo) to counter the “crisis of democracy” - the crisis being that there was too much democracy in the US of the 1970s: it was beginning to cut into the rights of capital to exploit <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crisis_of_Democracy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crisis_of_Democracy>>.

Under the pressure of neoliberalism, pusillanimous American liberals gave up the attempt - that went back to the New Deal - to ameliorate the exploration. But they had a bad conscience about it and looked around for other groups to champion, besides the working class. Thus was born identity politics: liberals championed those discriminated against, rather than the exploited.

Neoliberals cheered, because (as WB Michaels puts it), "opposing discrimination today has no more to do with a left politics than do equally powerful ethical commitments against, say, violence or dishonesty. Why? Because the core of a left politics is its critique of and resistance to capitalism—its commitment to decommodifying education, health care, and housing, and creating a more economically equal society. Neither hostility to discrimination nor the accompanying enthusiasm for diversity makes the slightest contribution to accomplishing any of those goals. Just the opposite, in fact. They function instead to provide inequality with a meritocratic justification: If everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed, there’s no injustice when some people fail.”

Identity politics became a cover for neoliberalism administrations to dispense with the New Deal’s social democracy (until the Sanders campaign revived it). The result was growing and accelerating inequality and the immiseration. of the majority of Americans. Donald Trump became president partly because he was the first major party presidential candidate in 40 years to criticize the policies of neoliberalism - however erratically - white Clinton’s campaign was built around neoliberalism and identity politics (cf. “deplorables”).

—CGE