[Peace-discuss] Democrats

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Aug 8 14:15:54 UTC 2018

Here's a thing that's frustrating to me about this.

That's a district that Trump carried by a big margin.

So, a Democrat that has a chance of winning there is not going to be that
"progressive" on many issues.

But there's a whole bunch of Empire issues that a broad group of both
Republican and Democratic voters either oppose the Empire on or don't care
about.

Yemen is a perfect example. Who wants to help Saudi Arabia fight a
famine-causing war in Yemen - a war in which the U.S. is allied with Al
Qaeda? How many actual voters would either want that, or would be bothered
by somebody opposing it? Virtually none. Most Americans hate Saudi Arabia
or don't care. For a Democratic politician or a Republican politician it
should be a freebie, at least in terms of voters.

Syria 2013 was another example. Overwhelmingly Republican and Democratic
voters thought we should stay the hell out, which was a key reason that
Obama had to go to Congress and then couldn't get an AUMF.

On Afghanistan, the Washington Post says the Taliban demand that all
foreign troops leave Afghanistan is a dealbreaker for the U.S. Why should
that be so? How many Americans want to fight a war in Afghanistan, just so
U.S. troops can stay in Afghanistan? Show me all the Democratic and
Republican voters who would raise their hands for that.

Bill Clinton once said something to the effect of: if the American people
had a vote, they would never let us send the troops anywhere.

We should be amplifying and giving effect to that bipartisan sentiment more
than we are.